When accidents happen, most insured drivers are relieved that they have auto insurance to protect them from bearing the full brunt of repairs. While it’s hard to imagine anyone being opposed to having a safety net, the cost of auto insurance may seem to outweigh this benefit. Unfortunately, believing that there are no affordable car insurance companies nearby causes many to drive uninsured.
Driving without insurance isn’t just putting you at risk of a dire financial situation down the road—it’s illegal, and can result in heavy penalties. The good news is that there’s a lot you can do to cut down on what you’re spending on car insurance. Today, we’ll examine some of the possible discounts you may be able to take advantage of.
Take a Defensive Driving Course
Many car insurance companies nearby offer special discounts for customers who show a commitment to safe driving. In some cases, defensive driving courses can be used as an alternative to paying traffic tickets for certain violations. If you independently choose to take one, you may be able to lower your car insurance rate by as much as 20%.
Defensive driving courses are typically low-cost and many are available online, allowing you to complete them from the comfort of your own home. Be sure to check with your insurer to see if they offer such a discount before signing up for a course. Your insurer may have a designated course they would like customers to take.
Install an Anti-Theft Device
In most cases, having your car stolen is more expensive than paying for even substantial repairs. Naturally, one of the biggest expenses a car insurance company nearby can face is paying out to a customer whose car has been subject to theft. Installing an anti-theft device can greatly reduce the chances that your car will be stolen.
There are many different types of anti-theft devices. Depending on the specific model that you drive and where you typically park your car, the device that works for your situation may vary. In order to take advantage of a discount, it’s important to inquire to your insurer which devices will qualify you for a discount.
- Dash cams. There are many models that can record high-quality footage, day or night—some cams can even swivel to film the interior of the car.
- Steering wheel locks. While not undefeatable, steering wheel locks (also known as ‘clubs’) can provide a deterrent effect for thieves looking for easy marks.
- Digital alert systems. As smart phone-enabled devices continue infiltrating our lives, gadgets like CarLock provide real-time activity notifications and location-tracking for your vehicle.
- Car key protectors. If you use a wireless key fob to open your car, it’s a good idea to get your hands on a signal-blocking key protector. In recent years, thieves have found ways to copy the device to gain access to your vehicle.
- Security tire clamp. It’s like a boot you can put on your own car! Security tire clamps are very difficult to remove without a key and provide a very strong deterrence.
- Wireless anti-theft alarm. If your car doesn’t come with an anti-theft alarm built in, you can always purchase one and have it installed. Some models are very loud—even more so than standard alarms—and are sure to scare off any criminal.
- VIN etching. You can have your vehicle’s VIN number etched onto the windshield and/or windows in order to deter criminals. This is a deterrent as the thief would have to replace the etched glass before selling your car.
Bundle Your Plans
You may be familiar with the lower rates given to cellular ‘family plans,’ but did you know that many auto insurers offer similar opportunities? If you have multiple drivers in your family, you may be able to save money as a group if everyone gets on the same plan. Be aware that any drivers in your family who have a checkered driving record may tilt the monthly price upwards for the group. Additionally, If you apply as an individual but own multiple cars, you are likely to be able to get a discount by including them all on your plan.
Discounts for Exceptional Teen Drivers
If there’s a new driver in your family, they typically will have a higher insurance rate due to their inexperience. However, good grades can make a young driver appear more responsible to car insurance companies. If your teen driver maintains grades of a B or higher in school, they may qualify for discounted rates on their auto insurance. Be prepared to provide recent report cards from your child’s school.
Car Insurance Companies Nearby Are Offering Discounts
Our team at Accurate Auto Insurance thrives on helping our customers get the best rates possible on their auto insurance. We guarantee the lowest rate possible to everyone that we work with. Contact us today to find Love at First Quote®!